Sunday, August 16, 2015

Roller Derby: Acadiana Roller Girls vs. Cajun Roller Girls

The soundtrack of the night was Rancid. The athletics were covered in tattoos and eyeliner, with knee-high socks and fishnet stockings a part of the uniform. The sport was Roller Derby.

It was Saturday night, August 8th,2015 that I attended my first roller derby bout, it was a game between the Acadiana Roller Girls(pictured above) against their rivals, The Cajun Roller Girls.


I have to admit that going into the game, I really knew nothing about the sport of Roller Derby, I did a little research before hand and I had seen the movie Whip It a couple of times, but I never experienced it in person, which I can now confidently say, is the best way to enjoy the sport. 
ARG's Tenta Cruel.
Notice the star on her helmet, which means she the current "jammer" for her team and able to score points. 

My night started off with a hot budlight as I waited for the bout to start, like I mentioned before, Rancid was played throughout the majority of the night, really setting the mood for this punk-rock sport and the introduction of these roller derbying riot grrls. 
From left to right: 315. Poise N Ivy, 606. Bette Yer Bollocks, and 32. Red Glare


I have to admit that I didn't understand how the scoring system worked until about halftime, I was preoccupied with watching these lovely ladies smash into each other and the fact that this is the only sport in which bopping your opponents with your hips and butt is considered a great defensive maneuver. 

Luckily for me, the program that I received at the door explained the rules and scoring system in Roller Derby 101 and also had referee hand signals. The rosters of both teams were also showed, helpful so that you don't confuse your Hot Mess with Nequita TeKillYa or Psycho Beast with say, Talk O'Holic.


During halftime, I was able to take a quick pic of Delirium Trigger, one of the co-captains of The Cajun Roller Girls, who were up at the time and would eventually win.

The bout and my night was over after roughly two hours of gameplay. I got a lot of great action and static shots and even took some video.

In closing, I had a great time, it was a cool experience, and I plan on attending future bouts whenever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment